Mobile Web Design Services Web Sites must now be Mobile Friendly
Mobile Web Sites: No Longer An OptionWith more than 50% of all web browsing being done from a mobile device (that includes pads as well as phones), it is no longer 'optional' to create a web site that works on mobile devices... it's mandatory. In more than one way.
Google's "Mobilegeddon"On April 21, 2015 Google.com changed it's ranking algorithm so that any site, they did not deem 'mobile' friendly', was reduced in rankings, whether it was mobile web site or not. Google announced that they would diminish the rankings of any web page they ranked that did not meet their criteria for being "mobile-friendly." Time for some Mobile Web Design. Since then, in order to maintain or even gain in rankings, companies have been converting their computer-browser-friendly websites (maybe designed years ago) into responsive (mobile device flexible) web sites.
- Responsive Web Sites - The browser, and all the elements inside, 'flex' (or change) to match the device's screen resolution. Essentially a 'one-size fits all' web site that changes to match whatever screen it is on.
- Adaptive Web Sites - A separate web site that is sized for smaller screens. An alternate site for mobile devices. It can also use different content as mobile users have different needs than computer users, such as directions, geo-location services, more contact-oriented links, etc.
- Cascading Style Sheet Design - Much more than fixed width HTML web sites, mobile design relies on Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) to manage their appearance and functionality. Cascading Style Sheets are text files that contain rules that. Mobile Site Differentiators - Mobile users have different needs from computer browser users. For example, geo-location, directions, maps, locations, and easy access to hours and Call links are more important to mobile users.
- Additional Mobile Web Design Features - There are a slew of features that mobile web sites can have that may not be necessary on computer-based browsers.
- Apple (& other) icons that allow you to add an icon to your web site easily to the home page of a phone or pad
- Geo-Location maps with directions from their current location to your brick & mortar locations
- Click-able phone numbers that allow them to call directly from the phone with two clicks
- Larger buttons to accommodate thumbs and fingers versus mouse arrows
- Selection menus that use "wheel" selectors to allow for standardized data entry
- Optimized graphics and design so the site downloads faster on slower cellular networks
- Google documentation on "mobile-friendly."
- Google page to test your pages to see if they are "mobile-friendly" according to Google
- Get started with Google's Webmaster Tools making your web site "mobile-friendliness."
Is your site mobile friendly?
Contact Metheney Consulting on web site design, developing your online marketing, social media marketing, SEO (search engine optimization), PPC (Pay-Per-Click advertising), email campaigns, pay-per-click advertising strategies, web site maintenance and development, blog development, and traditional marketing consulting on a project-by-project basis or Our Marketing Group about how they can assist you monthly as a part-time marketing department, SEO specialist, PPC experts, and web designers without the full time cost. Our Marketing Group provides digital marketing services for a fraction of the cost via monthly retainers and sliding scale hourly contracts. Call or email us at